What is a mutual exchange?
A mutual exchange is where you swap homes with a tenant from another housing association or council. It’s a popular choice for people who want to move house within the same area to gain more space, or to relocate elsewhere in the country.
How to do a mutual exchange
You can find someone online through one of the many mutual exchange Facebook groups, or use Homeswapper, a free mutual exchange website and app for tenants.
How to use Homeswapper
- Visit www.homeswapper.co.uk and click register.
- Tell Homeswapper about the home you want, and the home you’ve got – make sure you upload photos
- They’ll find matches for you, or you can run your own search to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- Contact your matches and chat to the current tenant using the in-system messaging.
- Once you’ve agreed a swap, ask GCHA for the paperwork.
How we can help
Once you’ve found a suitable swap, let us know and we will make the arrangements. If you need any more guidance, please get in touch.