Social housing

What is affordable housing?

Affordable housing (known as social housing) is for people who can’t afford to rent a property on the open market. It is offered by councils and housing associations like GCHA. Homes are available at reduced rents for people who qualify through their local council’s application process.

How to find a home with GCHA

You need to register with Kent Homechoice to join the local housing register. You’ll need to complete a pre-assessment first which will tell you if you’re eligible to join.

Then you’ll need to answer questions about your current circumstances including who is in your household and your level of income from salary and/or benefits.

Your needs will be assessed by the local authority’s housing team and you will be given a banding (an assessment of how ‘in need’ you are).

Once you’ve successfully joined the housing register, you can bid on properties on Kent Homechoice by searching by area, property type and size. As a small housing association, we won’t always have properties available which suit your needs.

Other options

There are other ways to find a home with us. Please see private rental or mutual exchange for more information.