Protecting your home belongings with contents insurance

It’s important to make sure the contents of your home are insured in case of a fire, flood, burst pipes, vandalism or theft.

You can access home contents insurance through our membership of the National Housing Federation, with the My Home Scheme.

What does it cover?

• The My Home Scheme can cover most of your household goods and contents whilst in your home, such as furniture, TV, clothing, carpets, electrical items and general household goods. It does not cover property used or held for business or professional purposes.

• The insurance also covers replacement of external locks if your keys are lost or stolen and the contents of your fridge and freezer (excludes damage caused if the electricity supplier deliberately cuts off the supply to your home).

The scheme also offers optional extras such as extended accidental damage, personal possessions worn or carried away from the home, wheelchair cover, hearing aid cover and more.

Where to go for more information

For more information on what is covered, or to apply for a contents insurance policy, please read more at the My Home website.