If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to claim Universal Credit. Universal Credit is a monthly payment which helps with your living costs, including rent and bills.

Universal Credit was introduced to make receiving benefits simpler. It replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • And other benefits and tax credits

Am I entitled to Universal Credit?

You may be entitled to Universal Credit if you are unemployed, self-employed, working part time, or unable to work due to ill health. 

You must be over 18, under state pension age, live in the UK and have less than £16,000 in savings or investments. 

For more detail on whether your specific circumstances allow you to claim Universal Credit, please see this guide on the government website

How much Universal Credit will I be entitled to?

The payment is made up of a standard allowance and any extras that you may be entitled to. The standard allowances are (as at 12 July 2022):

Your circumstances Monthly standard allowance
Single and under 25 £265.31
Single and 25 or over £334.91
In a couple and you’re both under 25  £416.45 (for you both)
In a couple and either of you are 25 or over        £525.72 (for you both)


If you have children, have a disability or health condition, or care for a severely disabled person you may be entitled to receive extra payments. 

There are other circumstances in which you may be able to receive more financial support. This should be assessed when you make your claim.

My circumstances have changed. How does this affect Universal Credit?

It’s important to report changes in circumstances to the government. These changes could include:

  • If your rent has increased
  • If you’re moving home
  • If other people have moved in or out of your home
  • If you have started or left a job
  • If you’ve had a baby or adopted
  • If you’ve started paying for registered childcare
  • If you have a disabled child who receives DLA or PIP 
  • If your earnings have changed
  • Or several other changes in circumstances

You need to report any changes through your Universal Credit account online

How to claim Universal Credit

To claim Universal Credit, you need to apply online, using identify documents to prove who you are. 

You’ll also need to give information about your rent costs, your earnings, childcare costs, any health condition that affects your work, and any savings or investments you have. 

You need to finish your claim within 28 days of creating your online account. 

Where to go for more information

For more information, please visit the Universal Credit section on the Gov.UK website.

Get in touch

If you have any questions or concerns about being able to pay rent, please contact us by email at general@gcha.org.uk, or call us on 01474 369 830.