Would you know what to do if you smelled gas in your home?

For Gas Safety Week 2022, we’re sharing some tips to ensure you keep safe and warm in your home. 

Every year Gas Safe registered engineers from our contractor, Robert Heath, carry out maintenance and safety checks in each one of our properties. This is to make sure all gas appliances are serviced. It’s important that you allow them access to your home. You can check their Gas Safe Register ID card to ensure they are who they say they are.

Here are other tips you should know:

  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
  • Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Test your audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home. Let us know if the alarm is faulty.
  • Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don’t block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly. 
  • Use gas appliances only for their intended purpose. Don’t be tempted to use them for something they weren’t meant for (e.g using a gas cooker to heat a room).
  • Know the emergency procedure (see below). If you smell gas or suspect immediate danger, make sure you familiarise yourself with the emergency procedure and contact the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999
  • Spread the word. Share vital gas safety information with friends, family and neighbours to make sure your community stays safe.

What to do if you smell gas in your home - the emergency procedure

Follow these simple steps:

  • Turn off all gas appliances
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Don’t use matches or naked flames
  • Turn off your gas supply (let us know in advance if you don’t know how to do this)
  • Don’t turn on any electrical switches or appliances
  • Leave the house
  • Call the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999

If you suspect there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home, please call us immediately on 01474 369 830.

For more information

Read more tips to stay safe at the Gas Safety Week website.